Tuesday, January 31, 2012

English - French Translation - Sayings, colloquials etc.?

I'm writing a small essay in French (note it isn't formal, so the use of some slang is alright) and I have a few things I need help translating from English to French. Most of them are colloquial sayings, a few are verb conjugations I'm having trouble with. Any help would be greatly appreciated!



Have Been - as in "we have been digging"

Show For - as in "we have been digging for weeks and have little to show for it"

God Forbid - as in "god forbid you should slip and fall"

Were Given - as in "we were given the task of..."

On a brighter note - this one is fairly self evident

Feather in his cap - like an accomplishment

It has been - as in "the station been abandoned"

I can't help - as in "I can't help but feel angry"





I also have one question/reaffirmation, how would I translate "muddy field of hell"? My attempt is: champ boueux d'enfer. I'm just not exactly sure where the adjective should go, before or after 'champ'.English - French Translation - Sayings, colloquials etc.?
We have been digging for weeks and have little to show for it.

On creuse pendant des semaines et il n'en est pas r茅sult茅 grand chose.



'God forbid...' could be translated as 'que dieu...' or pourvu que...' This one is tricky as there is no exact translation.



Were were given the task of...

On a 茅t茅 charg茅 de...



On a brighter note

Sur une note plus positive



I've never even heard this in English =O



It has been abandoned.

脟a a 茅t茅 abandonn茅.



I can't help but feel angry.

Je ne peux que me sentir f芒ch茅.



Boueux would come after the noun, champ, but it sounds rather funny in French.



Hope this helps! =]English - French Translation - Sayings, colloquials etc.?
We have been digging for weeks and have a little to show for it.

Nous creusons depuis des semaines et 莽a ne donne pas grand chose.

For ex. lt has been raining for two days, il pleut depuis deux jours or 莽a fait deux jours qu'il pleut.



Feather in his cap.

Une corde 脿 son arc.English - French Translation - Sayings, colloquials etc.?
Not really any of those translate....or they would be difficult to translate.



Use some simpler french

No comments:

Post a Comment